The A-Z of Global Flavours
The Recipe Wall
The Pink Whisk's Cheese and Onion Pasties
- Makes 6 medium pasties
- 500g strong white flour
- 120g white vegetable fat (Trex or similar)
- 25g margarine
- 1 tsp salt
- 175ml water
- 300g potato, diced
- 300g cheddar cheese, grated
- 250g onion, diced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- To make the pastry place the flour and salt in a large bowl. Rub the white vegetable fat and margarine into the dry mixture with your fingertips until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Make a well in the centre and add the water. Combine the mixture and knead well into a smooth dough. Wrap well in clingfilm and rest in the fridge for at least an hour to allow the gluten to develop.
- Prepare the filling by mixing together the potato chunks, grated cheese and diced onion. Season well with salt and pepper. Set to one side.
- Preheat the oven to 180c (fan)/200c/Gas Mark 5. Remove the pastry from the fridge and divide into six equal portions.
- Roll each piece into a circle, approx. 20cm in diameter. Use a side plate to cut around if necessary.
- Divide the filling between each of the pastry circles placing it in the centre and gathering together the edges of the pastry to seal it inside.
- Crimp the crust together by hand or using a fork.
- Place the pasties on a well greased or lined baking tray. Brush each with egg wash to glaze and bake in the oven for 45-45 minutes until golden brown.